Oh boy! What a busy summer it has been. I have not been diligent about posting on my blog this summer, but i'm not really sorry about that. Instead, I spent my time building community and focusing on the ministry I had to my participants. Now, it's time to catch you up on what's been happening.
This summer started off with staff training where I led a couple of work shops as well as helped to lead our training trip into the Dix mountain region. Then I was privileged to lead a group of college students on a canoe trip through the St. Regis lakes area. This particular trip consists of lots and lots of portaging. Portaging is where you and a partner, carry a canoe weighing approximately 78lbs, down muddy trails, up and over hills, over rocks and fallen trees for a couple of miles. One day we even portaged more miles than we actually canoed. Needless to say, I reached my physical limit when I decided to carry my full pack of gear, weighing about 50lbs, and the canoe at the same time. But, all in all, it was a great trip full of challenges that helped our participants, as well as myself, to grow.
My next trip was another canoeing trip, but this time with fathers and their children. This trip was much less physically draining. It was a joy to see these fathers spend quality time with their children in this wilderness setting. Me and my co-leader, Ryan, spent a fair amount of time laughing and joking with them at our campsites, and enjoying the company of the younger participants.
Next came at trip to the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks. This is one of my favorite places. Lots of peaks. If you know anything about me at all, you know that I have an insatiable desire to get to the top of things. So, this trip was great! Also, i was able to see my first black bear. It came up to our lean-to right as we were finishing up dinner. My co-leader, Nathan, managed to scare it off by throwing a can at it. It came back a little while later to check out our bear cans where all of our food was stored, but i managed to scare it off again. (If you want to hear the full story ask me about this later)
My last trip was another one to the High Peaks, but this one began in the Western High Peaks. This itinerary is only done about once a year so I was privileged to get a chance to lead it. Our participants were incoming freshman to Gordon College. It was neat to see how fast the bond formed between our little group and before long we were a little community of 8 people traveling through the untouched wilderness living out God's truths on the trail.
I think the biggest lesson I learned this summer came from a poem that my friend John recited during one of our training sessions. It's called " The Power of Littles". Here is an excerpt from it.
Great events, we often find,
on little things depend
And very small beginnings
Have oft a mighty end.
Letters joined make words,
And words to books may grow,
As flake on flake descending
Forms an avalanche of snow.
A single utterance may good
Or evil thought inspire;
One little spark enkindled
May set a town on fire.
Our life is made entirely
Of moments multiplied,
As little streamlets joining,
Form the ocean's tide.
Our hours and days, our months and years,
Are in small moments given:
They constitute our time below--
Eternity in heaven
I am making it my goal this year to be very intentional with the choices I make. Knowing that every choice I make will reflect what I value. The little choices will add up to make me the person that I am, so I need to be more careful and thoughtful with those choices. I want to make choices that reflect my values and more importantly the things that God values.
So, my summer in the mountains has come to an end and now I am back in my wonderful beach house on the North Shore. I was sad to leave the community of people at base camp, but also very happy to come back to my community here in Gloucester. I missed my roommates, church, and of course the ocean.





No comments:
Post a Comment